Want to Sleep Better? Try Implementing These 5 Habits!
- Make sure to have a real bed de-stressing routine, and use it daily: Whatever helps you to wind down – not necessarily what helps others. If writing isn’t relaxing then find something else other than writing in a journal. Just make sure it’s relaxing to you and you can, and do, make time to do it daily.
- Make your bed every single day and de-clutter your room: I’m not sure how people can sleep well in rooms cluttered/messy/dirty/stuffed – you’d be surprised what state some people’s bedrooms are in! Clean them out and keep them clean and de-cluttered. Making your bed daily is a respectful thing to do and sets up a fresh start when you get into bed at night.
- Rise and go to sleep at the same time every day – seven days a week: Many people who are poor sleepers are highly erratic in the times they go to bed and get up in the morning. The rise and fall of body temperature is what induces people to sleep and if you have it an ingrained slope the same each day your body’s sleep system is very clear and steady. It’s like eating meals at erratic times vs. the same time each day, which is much easier on your body’s internal clock systems.
- Find the supplements that work for you when you need some extra sleep help: There are many out there to choose from and not all will work for everyone, often it is a hit-and-miss proposition. Valerian, Hops, Chamomile, Vitamin B6, GAGA, L-Tryptophan, Magnesium, Asphalia (a new barley grass mix from Europe), there are many on the market. Again, it’s trial and error.
- If you have trouble with resentment and anger, learn how to forgive and let go. I’ve rarely met an angry/resentful person who is a wonderful sleeper. It does happen, but it’s more rare than not. If you have to get counseling for this, perhaps you should. It will help not only your sleep, but also your overall health and often your interpersonal relationships.
Advice and information supplied by Janet Kinosian, author of The Well-Rested Woman: 60 Soothing Suggestions For Getting a Good Night’s Sleep.