Dark leafy greens contain calcium and other vitamins that help promote better sleep. When making the Green Smoothie you are adding Kale (calcium) and Flaxseed (Omega-3s).
The calcium in this drink helps promote a better sleep, while giving you many nutrients and vitamins. Not only are you helping your body get a better rest, but you’re eating healthier. You’re body works 24 hours a day, and adding recipes like this into your diet will help you battle heart disease, diabetes, indigestion, help you lose weight, and much more!
Green Smoothie Recipe
Check out this recipe and let us know what you think!
Makes: 2 servings, about 1 3/4 cups each
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 ripe medium bananas
- 1 ripe pear or apple, peeled if desired, chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves, tough stems removed (see Notes)
- 1/2 cup cold orange juice
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 12 ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (see Notes)
- Place bananas, pear (or apple), kale, orange juice, water, ice cubes and flaxseed in a blender. Pulse a few times, then puree until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
TIPS & NOTES
- Notes:Choose organic kale when possible. Nonorganic can have high pesticide residue.
- Look for ground flaxseeds (or flaxmeal) in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or in natural-foods stores. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Per serving: 240 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 8 g fiber; 38 mg sodium; 987 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (210% daily value), Vitamin C (208% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable