This month in honor of Tinnitus Awareness Week we here at Sound Oasis and all of our readers are learning about Tinnitus. Last week we discussed what tinnitus is and what the symptoms are. This week we are delving into the two main types of tinnitus, subjective and objective.
Types of Tinnitus
Subjective tinnitus is the most common form of tinnitus. It can only be heard by the individual who is affected. Subjective tinnitus may appear and disappear suddenly. The symptoms can last anywhere from 3 months to a year at a time. In some more severe cases they symptoms may never cease. Subjective tinnitus is a perceived auditory sensation that occurs in the absence of external stimulation.
Approximately one in every three adults suffer from subjective tinnitus and ten percent of those patients develop prolonged tinnitus that requires a medical evaluation. Subjective tinnitus represents 95 percent of all cases of tinnitus the other 5 percent of cases are objective tinnitus.
As mentioned above, objective tinnitus is very rare. It presents as an actual noise that is physiological and occurs near the middle ear. Objective tinnitus represents the energy of sound waves. People who experience objective tinnitus often describe it as hearing a pulsation, thumping, or loud booming in the ear that is concurrent with their heartbeat.
It has also been described as rough blowing sound that is simultaneous with breathing. The sounds that the patient hears are also audible to an examiner who may use a stethoscope or other listening device. While objective tinnitus is rare it is often debilitating and can cause disruptions in everyday life.
Tinnitus Awareness Week is next week! We will be discussing the many different causes of tinnitus. Sound Oasis will also be providing a plethora of information for you to look at as well. If you relate to today’s post please check out and try our newly updated app specifically designed for all of us who suffer from tinnitus.
Don’t forget to come back for next week’s installment. Let us know how the updated Tinnitus Therapy Pro app is working for you below, don’t forget to include any questions, concerns and comments! See you next week everyone!